Hmm, i just gave a reply similar to this one in Tapuz's forum.

Look, wu-ftp is problematic. It insists on performing DNS queries for
the client at login time, but fails to act whenever it isn't needed.
I'm assuming your linux box has it's DNS servers configured in it's
resolv.conf file.
See, when you disconnect those servers can't be reached, and the
DNS queries block wu-ftpd for a while (wait a few minutes, it should
then respond). Using netstat at this point *should* show you an
established connection to the DNS server with the target port being
"domain", although this is NOT the case in reality...
Anyways, in order to see if this is the problem, comment out all the
DNS servers in your resolv.conf file when you're not connected to the
internet, then try to login to wu-ftp.
Also, try to set the proper search order in the nsswitch.conf file, like so:

hosts:  hosts [NOTFOUND=return]

It could help. If this is indeed the reason, you have two choices (that I can see):

1. Install a DNS server internally to handle those times where you are
off the internet (and place that as the first server in your resolv.conf)

2. Use a script to replace the resolv.conf file with a backup when you disconnect.
This is the easiest solution I believe... You can have the script do the opposite when
you reconnect. Maybe you can do that automatically somehow, who knows...

Hope this helps,

Eli

02/09/02 14:46:45, Tal Achituv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Date:   Mon, 02 Sep 2002 14:46:45 +0200
>
>  From:   Tal Achituv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  Subject:internet, internal ftp dependency
>  To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>  Hi!
>
>  This is the setup:
>  machine 1: windo*s XP 2 NICs, 1) Cable Internet 2) Local Network (nat-ing
>
>  #1)
>
>  machine 2: RedHat 7.3, xinetd.d modified to enable telnet & wu-ftpd..., 2
>  NICs 1) Local Network (using dhcp) 2) manually configured and not connected
>  to anything (in nead future will replace the xp's Cable Internet).
>

>  for some weird reason - If I disconnect from the internet (on the XP box) I
>  cannot ftp into the Linux box...
>  NOT EVEN from the tty1 (ftp localhost).
>
>  My guess is that there's something with DNS or something like that - but its
>
>  still VERY weird!
>
>  HELP!
>
>  Tal.
"There's so many different worlds