On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 03:01:59PM +0200, spring wrote:
> Hello all
> There is a project called Tapuah ( http://www.tapuah.org.il ) that is aimed at
>helping introducing the internet to people from a low socioeconomical status,
>especially in the peripheria . For it's current aims, acheivements and further
>details see the above link.
>
> The idea came up to cooporate with them to promote linux and help spread the use of
>it, not only for its educational value (which is immense) but also as a means for
>people to use cheaper machines, and use an OS without having to break copyrights.
>
> I've talked to the guys at Tapuah, they are very interested and are ready to provide
>us with equipment and assistance  - computer rooms etc.
> What we need to provide is volunteering lecturers for lectures at those classes, in
>the form of the haifux for-newbies lectures maybe, or if anyone wants to form a
>program and make it happen, you are all most wellcome to.

This is a great idea, and I intend to provide assistance. However, I can't
help but feeling that this initiative is somewhat premature. OEM's
(The vendor for one's computing unit), distribute their computers with
Windows preinstalled. Considering we provide the knowledge to use Linux,
how will it be installed on their computers? Installation requires a great
deal of thinking, because unlike Windows, GNU/Linux is more diverse.
There are many different configurations which behave in completely different
fashions. Should we teach them how to use KDE? Gnome? Window Maker? fluxbox?
The console? Unlike technologically oriented people, who are often
self-teaching, novice users will rely exclusively on the knowledge they've
been taught in "Apple"'s (Tapuah) classes. Has a curriculum been planned?
If not, who will devise it? If we want the teaching to be effective, OEM's
*must* prepare computers with Linux preinstalled, in which case massive
coordination is required, to match the curriculum to the system configuration.
I think these questions need to be addressed before attempting to gather
volunteers.

[...]
> Also if anyone is interested in leading a linux course at their erea, great! contact
>me, or Amutat Tapuah through their site.

You may list me as a willing volunteer.

> Tapuah is a private cometee, but they work also closely with the government (in
>terms of fonding). Working with them will help promoting linux in many ways:
>
> 1.Promote awareness to alternatives to Win*
> 2.Enlarge the number of Israeli Linux users
> 3.Help educate people
> 4.Possibly get fonding for Linux projects - like translations of documents and
>standard hebrew support
> 5.Students might get grants if they volunteer to take part on regular basis
>(something like "Perah" , but this is not official yet)
 6. Quickly attain world domination.

        Regards, Yotam Rubin