Quoting Tzafrir Cohen, from the post of Sun, 17 Nov:
> > I know that it is possible to do authentification against NDS using
> > PAM -> LDAP -> NDS.

I know Novell are very keen on getting NDS merged natively into linux,
isn't there an NDS module for PAM?

> > Whether it is possible to create accounts (home directories) on the fly?
> > Any link or howto will be appreciated.
>
> A mail server doesn't necessarily have to put the mail in the home
> directory. Some mail servers don't use home directories.

infact I usually opt to build servers as "pop toasters" with virtual
domains and all managed all under a single unprivileged UID, creating
and deleting "accounts" are a matter of a commandline or a CGI action
(so automation is a given), and the delivery/authentication simply works
from a file other than /etc/passwd|shadow

my policy is: if it doesn't need an interactive session, it probably
doesn't require a UID (with small exception of the running daemons
themselves ofcourse).

--
As good as it gets
Ira Abramov

http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13.
Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal.