1) IANAL, but I'm not sure the legal term is indeed theft. If you're planing
a serious pro-bono article I'd suggest contacting attorney Ravia for legal advice.

2) Although (AFAIK) copying current comercial software is indeed, and IMHO
should be, a fellony, (whatever it's called), please STW for discussions on "abandonware"
and about impacts of copy protection (legal and technical) on tomorrow's librarians.

Tal Achituv wrote:

I need to write an essay about "is it right or wrong to copy proprietary software"
Can some of you please point me to good resources on the subject?
Thanks,
Tal.

--
-- regards

+ Guy Baruch , Plasma Laboratory, Weizmann Institue.
+ mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+ phone: 972-8-934-2211

They hang the man and flog the woman
That steal the goose from off the common,
But let the greater villain loose
That steals the common from the goose.

-- English folk poem, circa 1764
	http://bostonreview.mit.edu/BR27.3/bollier.html

"The subspace W inherits the other 8 properties of V. And there aren't
even any property taxes."
               -- J. MacKay, Mathematics 134b