On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> I accidentally flashed into someone's eye a tiny laser pointer (it is
> run by two digital watch batteries, not even aaa) THOUGH A PIECE OF
> WHITE PAPER, that supposedly reflects most of the light (that's why it

the white material indeed reflects most of the light (in the visible
range). light passes through it not because it is transparent (in the same
sense that glass is- the light passes through the material itself), but
because of diffraction- AKIFA and HITABCHUT. being a laser, you
may actually
get HITABCHUT BONA after you pass a grid (SARIG) or a slit (SEDEK)
which means you get a rather big amplitude of the light wave in the
middle (straight ahead) , and in other angles as well.

> happened, because I thought I was flashing the paper, and it shone
> through). That created dark spots in her vision that took two days to go
> away (thankfully, without permenant damage).

LASER which is used for distance measurements (MATAL- MAD TVACH LASER) is
known to have cause permanent damage to eyesight, when a person watched it
through an eyepiece (MISHKEFET).

> I know that when a laser is marked as "eye safe", it simply means that
> standard reflex will shut your eye before permenant damage is done, not
> that it won't hurt your eye.

Special safety glasses which are designed for a special strong IR laser
are only made in order to last for a second or so- enough for you to come
to your senses and get out of its way.

--
Orna.   |  http://tx.technion.ac.il/~agmon

A cat has claws at the end of its paws.
A sentence has a pause at the end of its clause.