On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 06:27:10PM +0200, Christoph Bugel wrote:
> On 2002-12-14, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
> > I'm having trouble getting RedHat 8.0 to install on my brother new shiny
> > $SUBJECT.
> >
> > The installation seems to proceed fine up till the phase
> > were it seems to be trying to access the CDROM at which
> > point it halts with no error message - just a blank
> > installation screen.

By what follows I gather that the halt does not occur during the
drives probe during the boot process.

> hmm... as a last option you could try to install something
> that doesn't require a cdrom. I'ts may not solve the cdrom
> issue, but at least the rest of linux will work.
>
> I can speak at least for slackware, where this would be quite
> easy -- copy the insallation files (some 400MB of *.tgz)
> somewhere on your harddrive (maybe on an existing windoze
> partition?), then boot into slackware (+- two floppies
> needed), and then start the setup program, pointing it to
> those 400MB on your disk.

  In addition to what you described, Debian can save you the trouble
to install anything on your drive prior to the actual installation. This
is done by its off the network installation. Of course that necessitates
a NIC. Maybe it works with a modem too.

> I guess other distros can do this too, but I don't know.

So do I.

--

    Shaul Karl, [EMAIL PROTECTED] e t