On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Ira Abramov wrote:
> > 2. What if someday the people controlling FSF release Version 5 of the
> >    GPL, which says that they (FSF) alone are allowed the rights; and other
> >    people have to pay royalties (e.g. "to pay for court costs incurred by
> >    the need to defend GPL").
>
> then any software released under "GPL 5 only" should not be trusted. all
> software already released as "GPL2 or later" is just that. you choose,
> when you download the tarball, if you are recieving it under the terms
> of GPL 2, 3, 4 or 5 (I chose 2 for now :) and the new evil GPL doesn't
> bother you.

  They can't limit rights already granted in "version 5", but they actually
CAN add a clause that allows additional rights (like the right to change and
use it in closed-source modules) to those who pay them royalties. You can
look at what TrollTech is doing as an example.

  Alon

--
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ICQ:1366540
The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)