On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Shoshannah Forbes wrote:

> * Dependency hell. Nothing like running a RPM (when you are not
> connected to any network) to get dependency errors about missing files.
> Or when you are using another machine (with a fast internet connection)
> to download RPM's and burn them on a CD- many times you have no way to
> know what dependent RPM's you need to download, so you can actually
> install the application on the other machine.

apt

> I know tools like apt
> that help, but they are no good for computers with no internet
> connection, and are horrible over dial up.

apt-get --recon --download-only install package

Will print what you need to download the files required to install
"package". This gives you a nice list of URLs to go and fetch.

> I hope they improve. (ROX
> desktop < http://rox.sourceforge.net/ > addresses this issue with
> "application packages"  similar to what can be found in mac OSX)

Nice, but totally misses the point. Dependencies are here to solve a
problem ("I've just installed the program foo and it dosn't work" "can you
run it from the terminal?" "terminal? yuck. well, OK. double-click on
terminal icon, p-r-o-g-r-a-m-enter. I see something about failing to load
a library").

But RPM does not attempt to resolve dependencies. This is a GoodThing: rpm
should not be aware of the extra complexity in the existance of a
repository (more than one? an up2date server?) of packages and how exactly
to decide which of them to install.

That is what apt, urpmi and up2date are for.

> * Unless you work with the CLI (and even then sometimes) the file
> system is really cryptic.

The file system is always very cryptic. On every system.

> Where did that RPM install the application?

rpmq ?
kpackage?
rpmdrake?

Any information that is available in a command line program can be made
avilable to some GUI. In this case such GUIs exist.

> Where are my drivers? Where is the application I see an alias to in the
> kicker/ launcher/ whatever? The answer is not obvious and takes a lot
> of digging to find out.

"drivers" are not programs, and need not have menu items.

Debian has had a good menuing system for quite a while. This system was
later adopted by Mandrake. If a package wants to add itself to the menus,
it only needs to create one file and run the menu-updating procedures.
This will add it to any programs menu in the system.

However it seems that this system is not going to take over: gnome and kde
folks decided to have a standard of their own, and it has currently been
adopted by (at least) RedHat:

http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html

Those files are in an XML format. So you can't easily rem-out lines there
with your favorite text editor.

> * Not good enough defaults in many applications, combined with too many
> configuration options. I have seen how this happens: the developers
> can't agree about some design issue, so they end up saying "let's just
> make this a pref".
>
> * In general, too many things *have* to be configured, and configuring
> takes a lot of time. Yes, it is fun to tweak here and there, but I use
> my machine to get other things done, not to tweak all day.

Then configure debconf not to ask you that many questions.

> * Too much of the UI is "legacy UI", which was originally used in
> another system to overcome a system limitation, and copied "as is" into
> linux, although linux does not have the original limitation at all, and
> could have used much better UI. This also leads to cluttered, confusing
> and unusable UI's. (see
> http://mpt.phrasewise.com/stories/storyReader$374

Just a comment: I read the article, and don't consider those examples good
ones. The worst one is the  suggestion to have recently-used lists contain
inodes instead of files-names (inode numbers wil be invalidated after the
next "save" ;-) ).

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]