> Why?
>
> Because browsers implement standards poorly.
>
> Because some browsers (Kon* Op*) don't really care about standards.
> They're bound to forever invest time in chancing undocumented stanadards.

Let me say that we (the konqueror developers) do care! How come you assume we
don't?

Yes, we implement some IE extenstions. So? Mozilla does the same. They did for
example add foo.innerHtml in Javascript which is a non standard extension
first introduced by IE.

If you today build a browser that is build 100% onstandards it's completely
unusable in the real world as it would render less than a percent of the web
pages correctly. Also mozilla has hundreds (maybe thousands) of cludges in
the code for real world HTML. Thats why it works on most web pages.

We chose to go a little bit further and implement a little more than IE,
namely the ones we thought make sense and would help getting things
compatible. There are however limits as to how far we go. If we eg. have the
choice to be either IE or standards compatible, we choose the standard.

Konqueror does eg. implement the full DOM2 Javascript bindings (and we pass
the DOM 2 test suite with about 2-4 errors, actually less than mozilla).
CSS2.1 support is fastly getting better (we've for example rewritten the
parser lately to be 100% standards compliant, etc...)

Cheers,
Lars