On Thursday 13 March 2003 23:11, shlomo solomon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a script that puts a lot of output on the screen. I want to look for
> a particular string in the output, so I pipe the output to GREP. That works
> fine, but here's the problem. I also want to see the output on the
> terminal, and the pipe to GREP means I only get to see the line that
> matches the string I'm looking for - not **ALL** the screen output. Is
> there a way to see output on the screen AND pipe it to GREP at the same
> time?
Use "tee". Kludge but works.

> BTW - I have a partial solution and that's to pipe to a file and then do 2
> separate operations - cat the file to the screen and GREP the file to find
> what I'm looking for. The problem is that I then see the output only after
> the script has finished running - not **online**.
>
> Any ideas?  - TIA
Two solutions :
 - Pipe the output to "less" - it has a search facility - press "/", enter the
pattern and here you go
- "Tee" the output to the terminal ( it is Unix clone, after all, each device
is a file).
my_script | tee terminal_device | grep some_string

--

Regards,
Alex Chudnovsky