On 2003-03-13, shlomo solomon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I have a script that puts a lot of output on the screen. I want to look for a
> particular string in the output, so I pipe the output to GREP. That works
> fine, but here's the problem. I also want to see the output on the terminal,
> and the pipe to GREP means I only get to see the line that matches the string
> I'm looking for - not **ALL** the screen output. Is there a way to see output
> on the screen AND pipe it to GREP at the same time?

  Am I right that you could have done it in C (as well as with other
languages) by duplicating the file descriptors, redirecting some of them
and so on? The reason for asking is that bash has some of these
capabilities:

    info bash 'Basic Shell Features' Redirections

for the details. Can't they be used in a similar way to the C solution?

  I tried and failed. However I would need to work hard to get a C
solution. Which suggest that I am not the one to say that it can not be
done.
--

    Shaul Karl, [EMAIL PROTECTED] e t