All my file servers at work (and at home) are Linux based... some are
even using the same RH version you are using (7.3). (I'm too lazy to
reboot them in-order to upgrade them to 9.0...)
Moving GB size files is something I do on a daily basis and I've yet to
see what you describe. (And my main file-server's uptime is passing the
one year mark).

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I am saying that before you start a
'Linux sucks' advocacy thread, one would suggest that you start by
reading more about the IDE controller that you are using (Intel
chipset?) and the kernel support it has in 2.4.18.
Next, do 'man hdparm' and check the current IDE support flags. (UDMA133
may require 'hdparm -c3 -u1 -X69 /dev/xxx' to reach optimal
performance.)

In general, people tend to ignore threads that are headed into
troll-land. I assume that it was never your intention.

--
Take care,
Gilboa Davara