On Tuesday 24 June 2003 16:32, Arie Folger wrote:
> Thanks. It worked, but I do wonder why ussuch a relatively complex system.
> I find the old plaintext so much more attractive. If we must have XML,
> shouldn't it come with a handy documentation and a tool to make editing
> easy AND A BIG FAT WARNING: "YOUR EXISTING FONTSETTINGS WILL BE LOST". Or,
> for the ones who prefer small type, simply a conversion utility so that,
> the first time around, the info will be saved in a local.conf file.

You usually don't edit the XML file (though "this relatively complex system"
allows you to do lots of cool stuff through it: control antialiasing, change
the generic Sans Serif, Serif and Monospaced font to your prefered ones and
thus affect Qt, Mozilla and GTK in one step...) -- you simply rely on the
standard fonts.conf which includes ~/.fonts/ as a default font directory.

Then you just save your TTFs to ~/.fonts -- and violla, all your Qt (KDE) /
GTK (GNOME) / Mozilla apps see them. (no need for ttmkfdir, mkfontdir, xset
ftp rehash or whatever!)