EM>> Regarding the first one, I divide between patents that STOP
EM>> technological advances (like LZW) and patents that HELP
EM>> technological advances (like RSA). I don't agree that EVERYTHING

Hm. Only difference I see is that the owner of the RSA was less greedy
than owner of the LZW, but that difference does not lie in the field of
patents but of owners.

EM>> Maybe conflicts between patents and technology advances were caused
EM>> because of non-professional staff of the patent office?

Asking that, let's ask what kind of "professionality" is required from
them? Should they be an experts in software knowing to the least detail
every part of every program existing, for example? What would be
requirements to professional patent office worker? Note that patent office
is not exclusively software - they should also work on other things too.

EM>> Maybe a better computerization will help the patent office
EM>> reject patents that were "prior art"ed by open technologies?

It is pretty hard to know this - for this, detailed analysis of the
functions of patented and potentially prior-art (meaning, just almost
every other in the field) applications required. I fear for a patent
office which is not really overbudgeted it is not actually feasible.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       \/  There shall be counsels taken
Stanislav Malyshev      /\  Stronger than Morgul-spells