Yesterday, I reinstalled my RH9.0 from scratch (because the old setup went
kaput when I installed an updated glibc ... go figure. Caused segmentation
faults and nothing worked afterwards, and even with rescue disk, nothing
could seemingly be done to get it going again. The RPM database had been
corrupted somehow, and refused service. Anybody had that, too?) and now I
can't install printers.

OK, I still have my backup from /etc, but look at this strange problem:

First, LPRng is on the system, and won't go away, even though I have cups:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] afolger]# rpm -e LPRng
failed to read link /usr/bin/lpr: No such file or directory
error: %preun(LPRng-3.8.19-3.1) scriptlet failed, exit status 2

Then, redhat-switch-printer won't switch to cups:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] afolger]# redhat-switch-printer
failed to read link /usr/bin/lpr: No such file or directory
failed to read link /usr/bin/lpr: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/printconf-backend", line 7, in ?
    import backend
  File "/usr/share/printconf/util/backend.py", line 48, in ?
    which = cups_import.which_spooler ()
  File "/usr/share/printconf/util/cups_import.py", line 195, in which_spooler
    return which
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'which' referenced before assignment

(the above happened after the dialog showed up, I clicked on the cups radio
button and I then clicked apply or ok)

Finally, it is entirely impossible to start redhat-config-printer:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] afolger]# redhat-config-printer
failed to read link /usr/bin/lpr: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/redhat-config-printer", line 9, in ?
    import queueTree
  File "/usr/share/printconf/util/queueTree.py", line 927, in ?
    queueTree()
  File "/usr/share/printconf/util/queueTree.py", line 101, in __init__
    if cups_import.import_needed ():
  File "/usr/share/printconf/util/cups_import.py", line 200, in import_needed
    which = which_spooler ()
  File "/usr/share/printconf/util/cups_import.py", line 195, in which_spooler
    return which
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'which' referenced before assignment

I have never seen these errors before and googling led nowhere, but it surely
looks like a conspiracy when three programs band against me ;-)

I am using RH9.0 with all available updates except for glibc which is not the
latest update since that one made my system crash in the first place (see top
of message).

Arie
--
It is absurd to seek to give an account of the matter to a man
who cannot himself give an account of anything; for insofar as