As I promised, I'll set out my choice and why:

I got an HP 5550.

It worked straight out of the box with the already running hpijs driver on the parallel port (and so therefore, it's OK without change, as my network printer for 2 Win 98 and one Linux client).

The

http://www.linuxprinting.org/

site had lots of interesting stuff on this (Thanks dittigas).

Other notes:
1. The HP 5550 is hard to find here. Its manufacture is being dicontinued. My supplier had one left ... He did not have 3820 (Thanks, Barak Bloch), which although discontinued, would have been adequate for me.
2. Paradoxically, the $ price for one 5550 unit before VAT, here is about the same as that quoted by several overseas suppliers. ($90+/-)
3. I felt that the difference in price between the cheaper (and apparently less reliable) 3250's would show up down the line in time-before failure. (My old HP 694C, z"l lasted 7 years, and the newer HP 695C, 5 years, but may prove to be be fixable) Also, I didn't like being resricted to USB only (Parallel port prejudice).
4. I was slightly tempted to look at Epson which got a good review on the linuxprinting site. In the end, non-Linux (i.e. $ and other logistic considerations) were decisive.
5. Ink prices, were refered to by Kfir Lavi. The zap site was quite interesting, being for local suppliers, but the epinions site was less so.
6. It beats me wh HP insists on dicontinuing good lines like the 3820 and the 5550.

I hope this helps somebody.

Daniel

Daniel Feiglin wrote:
Hello folks!

I have an HP 695C connected through the parallel port on my Linux box and which also functions as the network printer for 2-3 Win 98 clients, and an HP 964C similarly attached on my home Lin/Win system. What they (almost) have in common, is that the HP 694C is "bar minan" and the 695C is "al eres d'vay". Can any one suggest something roughly functionally equivalent, price equivalent, that isn't a "Windows printer"? Doesn't have to be HP, but my experience with HP printers has been quite good.

As usual with queries of this type, I'll post a summary of the results later. (Did it with tapes, and some other stuff in the past.)

Regards,

Daniel