On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Josh Roden wrote:

> Can anyone advise us on which Linux Real Time distro
> to use + any tools etc... that could help us.
> Here at the Hadassah College our Virtual Reality department
> wants to give its students the opportunity to do their final project
> in the RT field. To this end we will have to build a RT computer
> environment.

since no one else responded here yet, i'll write what little i know about
this subject.

the only 'real-time' linux system i have put my hands on, was RT-Linux
(from FSM labs - www.fsmlabs.com, and more specifically -
http://www.fsmlabs.com/products/openrtlinux/). it used to come as a patch
to the kernel (it required very specific kernels back then) and a set of
libraries. basically it runs linux as the lowest-level task of the
rt-linux kernel, and your write the real-time stuff using their API (which
is a subset of POSIX) which runs in non-protected mode...

it took less then a day to install it on the first time and getting their
example programs running.

and indeed, they seem to respond to interrupts in the time-frame they
claim (tested on a non-loaded machine, though).

there are other real-time linux versions, such as hard-hat linux, which
you might want to take a look at.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,