Hi all,

Sorry that this post is a little scarce on details. I will fill them in when I have them again.

I am installing Linux on my sister's laptop (a Dell centrino, don't have exact model). I went for RH9 because that's what would be fastest to install.

It correctly detected almost everything (sound, display adapter). At least, I think it did. Everything seemed to work.

However, when X is set up for 16 or 32 bits/pixel, the highest resolution available seem to be 640x480. Looking at the X startup log, I can see that the system detects resolutions of up to 1280x1024, but discards them all as non-matching (I did not manage to understand what it was they did not match). When I set the color depth to 8, X has no problem starting at 1024x768 (the highest the LCD will support).

Can anyone think of a reason without the X log available, and also think of what I may need to look at besides the X log? I don't have high availability of the laptop, so I'm trying to pick up all the information I might need in advance.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant