Hi list,
I am testing a few distros.
I got Lindows 4.
My review:
I got a new  P4 2.4 with intel motherboard with agp , eth onboard.
RH9 installs perfect in it.
Lindows goes to graphic mode (640x480) cause it could not resolve the
module for the video card. After a few screens you are asked to accept
some question, but the buttons are unreacheables. I though that I may
found some help on the net. nothing there. There is a diagnostics mode
that throws you to the shell. There is also no info in the net of what
can you do with it.
but anyhow I tried adding under the Display Section:
        Virtual 800 600
and it did not work.
I installed in another machine, the install asks you for a password (not
required) for what it became clear after it that it was for the root
user.
On the kdm it shows as username administrator, but if you check the
/etc/passwd there is only root.
there is no ssh installed.
Ppl are supposed to use the click & run to install software (you have to
pay for the service).
opening terminal and running
cat /etc/apt/sources.list shows that points to the debian stable.
so you can install whatever you whant  with synaptic ( you need to run
apt-get install synaptic first).

:)

Now Debian 3

what a deception. I tried cd1, cd5, mini.
I tried booting the bf24 ...
it has the module eepro100 but even do running cat /proc/pci shows that
it is my ethernet card.
it fails to load even when forced.

Googling I only got a few postof people saying that either it work out
of the box or that they have to recompile a new kernel....
Knoppix (based on debian) runs the module without problem on the same
pc.

I know that till now I wrote like a review, but the real point is that I
am using RH for long time and I would like to switch to Debian because I
like the apt-get system ( install once, run forever).

I am sure there must be out there debians servers running the lastest
software with a uptime of years.

Can anybody help me to help me get in theDebian world? I though of
libranet, but I would like to stick with the source.

yours, Meir.

--
Meir Michanie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>