Hi,

I figured I should report my experiences with my brand new digital
camera and say thanks to everybody who provided input. In the end,
I got a Nikon CoolPix 3100 at the Ben Gurion Duty Free shop for
$399. I figured it was not a bad price, considering that most quotes
on the net were in the range of $350 to which, I presume, one has to
add S&H, customs duty, and VAT (I found some quotes for under $300 on
the net, though, probably special discounts).

The camera has 3.2 Mpx, 3x optical zoom, ability to take 40 second
video clips, rechargeable batteries, Compact Flash memory, quite a few
useful shooting modes, and - IMHO - a rather good
interface. Batteries, charger, cables, and 2 CDs with NikonView
software, QuickTime, and a Reference Manual are included in the price.

I knew the camera would work with Linux because a) the manual [I
flipped through it in the store] said it worked as USB storage in
addition to PTP, b) it was Mac compatible and Gilad had said it was a
symptom ;-), and c) http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/usbcamera.php
said so.

An Olympus camera with similar technical characteristics cost around
$530. The main difference, at least according to the shop assistant
(not a great authority, I know), was that the Olympus had a sturdier
and heavier metal body (Nikon is plastic). I figured that I should not
drop the camera onto stone pavement anyway (didn't do an Olympus of
mine any good some 10 years ago, metal body notwithstanding :), and
that it was not worth the price difference. Sorry, Marc.

I also got a 128MB CF card - the card that comes with the camera is
only 16MB. This set me back another $59, I think.

I shot probably around 200 touristy pictures with the camera and kept
around 60% of them. Those that I deleted were either shot with bad
lighting or using a wrong mode or something of the kind, not because
of any defect of the camera itself. I am quite satisfied with the
picture quality (tried landscapes, buildings, portraits, close-ups of
some flowers, museums). Could not find a mode to shoot stained-glass
windows from a distance inside an unlit building - something I used to
be able to do with a regular camera, I suppose due to much better
optics.

The most obvious drawback is insufficient zoom compared to my
non-digital Pentax. Another problem is that if you shoot a lot of
pictures and some movies, and review them on the screen, and generally
play with the screen a lot trying different modes and settings, and
use the flash, the batteries tend to run out. After a couple of days I
got used to the camera, started playing with it less and using it
properly more, thus using the screen a bit less, and the batteries
were enough for a tourist day.

Overall, not a bad camera for a complete amateur like me.

At home, sticking the USB connector into the right port, turning the
camera on, and mounting (the order is important!) was enough to copy
the JPEGs and MOVs to the hard drive (tested with RH7.3 on a Pentium
III desktop and and a Pentium IV Thinkpad, with various 2.4
kernels). The transfer of about 135 JPEGs took a little bit of time,
but nothing I would consider excessive.

Xine shows MOV's just fine in full screen mode. GPhoto does a fair job
showing pictures but leaves much to be desired in terms of
presentation capabilities, compared to the NikonView I tried on the XP
I have on my laptop - no slideshow, need to resize each picture
individually, no "fit to window" option, etc. Unfortunately, NikonView
is available for Windows or Mac only. I will try to download the
latest version of gPhoto2 - maybe it's better.

The result of viewing the pictures on TV was less satisfying: the
resolution of the TV screen is not so good, as we know, and for some
reason the image flickers a bit. I have a rather old TV set though -
will try it on a newer and bigger TV when I have a chance.

Thanks again for all the advice,

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]