Hi,

I just installed OO 1.1 besides my existing 1.0, and to my horror, documents
created in 1.0 show up a bit differently in 1.1 (bad for documents where
graphic layout is important, such as Impress or Draw documenst with lots of
text boxes). Even worse, all the paragraphs are right to left, even though
they don't contain Hebrew text. Kword's system of determining paragraph
direction by looking at the first character of the paragraph is a lot more
sensible. Clicking on left justify won't help, since the punctuation assumes
that the text is right to left (e.g., a colon at the end of a sentence
appears at the left and not the right of the text.

So, if one wants to use old soffice docs, one would need to either manually
reset the paragraph direction for every text box (good luck). Isn't there a
better way to keep the old documents useful without this excessive work?

Another solution is to keep using the old OO for those docs, but the new OO is
so much faster and better... (pdfs are finally ok even from OO Draw)

TEMPORARY FIX:
So far, I have solved both issues by setting LANG='en_US.utf-8' which works,
even though I get the error message:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] afolger]$ LANG='en_US.utf-8' .openoffice/soffice
I18N: X Window System doesn't support locale
"LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf-8;LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;
LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf-8;LC_MONETARY=de_CH.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;
LC_PAPER=de_CH.UTF-8;LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_ADDRESS=de_CH.UTF-8;
LC_TELEPHONE=de_CH.UTF-8;LC_MEASUREMENT=de_CH.UTF-8;
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8"

Usually, my locale is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] afolger]$ locale
LANG=he_IL.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="he_IL.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="he_IL.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

Now which locales are acceptable to OO? Note that it doesn complain about my
usual locale, just behaves funny.

Arie
--
It is absurd to seek to give an account of the matter to a man
who cannot himself give an account of anything; for insofar as