On 25/09/2003 21:53, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

But still, wouldn't that keep the NAS as a single point of failure? Or is the NAS
implemented by some HA cluster of servers?
Also, the original author said, as far as I understood it, that when the backup
server moves to a separate location he won't be able to use the same IP (or
maybe he can channel the same IP over IP?)

For now both servers will be on the same location. I might have confused you when I asked that question, it wasn't directly connected to the original question (how to sync the data directories and database) - I just wanted to know if such thing as possible.

You confirmed my original thoughts about the DNS in your previous message.

what's not too good is that sessions are lost, so if youre application is stateful, your users will feel the crash that happened, while if it's stateless the damage will be much smaller.

If your application is writen as a Java web-app then you can take advantage of
clustered Servlet engines, which enable sharing of sessions in a cluster, just
for this kind of situations (in addition to the scalability advantage).

Does PHP have such stuff?

Thats not a problem. PHP uses plain files to store sessions data, so all I need to do is to set the sessions directory to a location that is shared by both servers.

Sagi