I am connected from Debian through Actcom (PPPoE, Samsung's
blue iron ethernet ADSL modem) and don't have "asyncmap 0"
in my dsl-provider file.
The closest I get to mention asyncmap is a comment-out of
"default-asyncmap".
Besides, according to the pppd manual multiple asyncmap's are
OR'ed, so there shouldn't be any effect for "asyncmap 0".

Here is my dsl-provider file:

pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1452"
defaultroute
hide-password
lcp-echo-interval 60
lcp-echo-failure 3
noauth
persist
mtu 1412
maxfail 0
user "<username>@IActcom"
usepeerdns

Works for months now without failing ("maxfail 0" causes it to keep
trying relentlessly when the link goes down, very useful).

--Amos

Shaul Karl wrote:

I believe that asyncmap 0

is required in order to get connected to the Internet through ActCom,
both on dial up and ADSL lines.
The point is that Debian's latest suggestion for /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider asserts the following:

   # RFC 2516, paragraph 7 mandates that the following options MUST NOT be
   # requested and MUST be rejected if requested by the peer:
   # Address-and-Control-Field-Compression (ACFC)
   noaccomp
   # Asynchronous-Control-Character-Map (ACCM)
   default-asyncmap

Am I right in saying that according to Debian's assertion, asyncmap 0 is in contradiction with RFC 2516? Is Debian wrong? I wonder what made
Debian mentions this only recently.