On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, shlomi wrote:

> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > unlike the text of cheatsheet.txt (and what you read when you press F2)
> > there is a boot-time option 'lang=he' which tries to do something sensible
> > for Hebrew. However the keyboard settings there are:
> >
> > KEYBOARD="il"
> > XKEYBOARD="il"
> > KDEKEYBOARD="il"
> >

> Hi,
>
> It seems that setting XKEYBOARD to "il" is sensible only when you are using X
> to switch ketboards and not using th KDE keyboard app.

Actually: it is not exactly in effect there. However it may have been in
effect had there been a way to pass other parameters to setkxbmap .

> switching keyboards using X is done by adding a line :
>      Option "XkbOptions" "grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle"
> to your XF86Config-4 file.

Or, equivalently, by running setxkbmap in the beginning of the session
with the relevant parameters.

Editing XF86Config tends to be more difficult. I'm not sure how it is on
knoppix, though.

> however, if you are using this method, you shouldn't be using the KDE way
> anymore and should use apps like kkbswitch.

Which are not on the CD, unfortunetly. I fully agree, though, that kxkb
must be rewriten to exploit the keyboard layouts of XFree 4.3 if possible.
("rewritten", not "extended").

> > I'm not sure exactly what KDEKEYBOARD is for. It is used for something
> > in the initialization of KDE. I think it should have a value of the
> > sort of "us,il" or "us il", but I haven't yet checked it.
> >
> > XKEYBOARD should definetly have the value "us,il". It seems to only
> > have effect on non-kde desktops, though.

Also see my other message

> i'm not sure about that, but i think it doesn't matter when you are using the
> KDE way to switch layouts.
>
> The kde app in knoppix3.3 have some other issues, like the annoying problem
> ctrl+alt+k that can switch only to hebrew but not back. some ppl seem to have
> solved it by defining an alternate key of ctrl+alt+LAMED which sound like a
> silly solusion to me and does not work for all versions.

Why doesn't it work? Are there more than two layouts?

> > Also: any idea why the default locales package that comes with knoppix
> > does not create he_IL.UTF-8 (it does create a he_IL of charset
> > ISO-8859-8 , and quite a few UTF-8 locales). /etc/locales.gen seems to
> > be auto-generated.
>
> is it ? i thought it was generated only by the package itself like:
> #dpkg-reconfigure locales

Maybe this was it and I should simply file a bug in knoppix...

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]