Well...I took the plunge and upgraded Mozilla and glibc (from
glibc-2.2.93-5 to glibc-2.3.2-4.80.6).
Total of 18 packages were upgraded.

So far my system survived the upgrade.

Only one problem:  Mozilla does not display now Hebrew characters.
Instead of them, it displays squares with the Unicode values of the
characters.

I entered Edit/Preferences/Appearance/Fonts and tried to set to Culmus
fonts (I have culmus-fonts-0.71-1 installed), but nothing from this
package was seen in the list of fonts to be chosen.

Any suggestions?

By the way, the culmus fonts are not seen also by gedit and other Gnome
applications.  This problem seems to have the same root cause as the new
Mozilla problem, probably due to Mozilla switching to a standard fonts
engine, which does not recognize yet the installed Culmus fonts.  What
should I check?

P.S.:  My Linux installation is stock RedHat 8.0, with the upgrades
mentioned above.  It was originally a fresh installation from CD-Rs
burned with ISO images available at January 2003.  The installation
included almost all packages from the CD-ROMs.
                                        Thanks,
                                             --- Omer
I may be affiliated in any way.