Shlomi Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
>
> > Shlomi Fish wrote on 2003-10-12:
> >
> > > I want that if one of the (first) components of the pipeline exits with an
> > > error code, I'll know about it somehow. How?
> > >
> > info bash --index PIPESTATUS
> >

> Cool thanks.

Depending on your needs you may also use the -e option to the shell
(should work for most Bourne shell and csh descendants), the option
will make the shell exit if any of the commands in the pipeline fails.

$ true | false | true
$ echo $?
0
$ bash -e "true | false | true"
true | false | true: true | false | true: No such file or directory
$ echo $?
1

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]