Title: Sharing my problem solving experience.

On an ugly morning I received the following message when
booting my NIS server:

     mounting proc filesystem [ ERROR ]
     dup2: bad file descriptor

My Nis server (TUX) would not boot any further and therefore the
rest of my servers that are dependent on TUX wouldn't boot/respond
either.
After a while of googling I found the following solution
which made me, all of the sudden, very happy and releived:

Begin quote:

  How to fix "dup2: bad file descriptor" on Linux
  This error is actually happen because the /dev/null entry in the device inode permission is screwed up
  when the system is showing:

  mounting proc filesystem [ ERROR ]
  dup2: bad file descriptor,

  Note: The following step will fix the error:

  Proceed with login to repair filesystem (provide root password)
  Next mount your root filesystem

  mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/hdxx (where hdxx or sdxx is your root partition)
  Remove the /dev/null entry
  rm -rf /dev/null
  Since we've already remove the /dev/null, we have to create a new writeable entry
  mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3
  Reboot the system using shutdown -r now or shutdown -h now, the filesystem should be
  correctly mounted the next round of booting.

End quote.

I will be happy if this will ever help anybody else.