On Tuesday 04 November 2003 17:45, Nathan Fain wrote:
> I'm trying to find a solution for sending SMS alerts which does not rely
> on internet connectivity via my LAN.  The objective being to send
> BigBrother alerts and whatnot via the hardware solution.  I've spoken
> with Orange and they have some limited solutions and I'm curious what
> others have experience with or would recommend I focus research on
>
> thanks
>
> Nathan

Buy a cheap nokia GSM phone, a suitable data cable and use gnokii to connect
it to a Linux box as an "SMS server". Or pay me to do it for you - I actually
wrote a system that uses it to search through a list of possible people to
handle a problem via SMS, ICQ and Microsoft SMB sends... :-)

http://gnokii.org/

btw, if you choose a Cellcom connected GSM phone, make sure to grab the CVS
version and not stable, because my one liner patch to add their get their
"new" GSM network supported just got in ;-))

BTW,

Cheers,
Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Codefidence. A name you can trust (tm)

"Half of one of my eyes is already open. I'm going to make coffee now..."
        -- Kathi 16:08:04