On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Micha Feigin wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 11:03, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> > > Free as in speech? I don't think so. Care to enlighten us?

For the record, I was referring to the Win32 version, not the UNIX/X11
one.

> > Isn't it dual licensed as GPL/QPL?Doesn't GPL mean free as in
> > speech?
> >

> Don't know QPL and correct me if I am wrong, but I thinkthat programs
> that include GPL code have to be released under GPL license

Correct, any inclusive work of GPL code makes the entire file GPLed.

> in which
> case you can only use qt under windows for open source software as a
> free toolkit (has its points I admit. If you are going to earn money for
> you program, you might aswell pay for the usage of the toolkit).

I don't understand what you mean exactly. Care to explain?

> Although I believe that if you use dynamic linking you can still mix GPL
> and closed source (as you are not actually including the source in you
> program).

Actually, the GPL is not entirely clear about it. But according to the
FSF-advocated interpretation a closed source program cannot link against a
GPL library. (statically or dynamically)

> Thats whats supposed to enable distributing closed source
> kernel modules.

Actually, that is Linus Torvalds' interpretation of the GPL that allows
it.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > >   Shlomi Fish

> > behdad

> --
> Micha Feigin
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Shlomi Fish        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Writing a BitKeeper replacement is probably easier at this point than getting
its license changed.

        Matt Mackall on OFTC.net #offtopic.