On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:37:53AM +0200, Tal, Shachar wrote:

> Just to give a few examples:
> gcc/glibc's atoi() is 50% slower than VC6 runtime with Intel's massively
> optimizing compiler.

Can you produce the generated assembly for both cases? which options
were given to gcc? which glibc version exactly?

> string switching (i.e. C switch on strings) is twice as fast in VC6/Intel
> than gcc/glibc.

likewise.

> string tokenization is 20% slower on gcc/glibc than Intel.

likewise.

> AFAIK, TLS libraries, aside from requiring more actual code about stack
> allocation, hold several stacks or one segmented stack (for several
> threads), and will tend to use more space and hence perform worse on L1/L2
> caches.

You aren't saying much here, except "threads can trash the cache",
which is a given.

> Overall, I wouldn't be surprised that a TLS implementation, on top of
> optimizations, will amount to slower performance.

I stopped being surprised at anything related to hardware or software
a long time ago. What's interesting is figuring out why things behave
as they do.
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/

"the nucleus of linux oscillates my world" - [EMAIL PROTECTED]