On Thursday 13 November 2003 12:11, Boaz Rymland wrote:

> In short - there is a weak point in the openness model. it is greatly
> acknowledged and treated hence achieving a better security model. Don't
> be impressed by the publicity it gets - you just dont hear of such cases
> in closed source organizations.

I wouldn't call it a weaknes in the openess model, maybe a weakness in the
PR case of open source. The problem exists in both closed and open
software, it's just that open source software cannot hide it.

Therefore:
a. It's visible.
b. Open Source software put in place to handle the issue, as much as it can
be handled.

The interesting question (for me, at least) is: "are we doing a good job of
handling the problem?"

My feeling about the answer is that we are doing a terrible job, but it's
still better then closed source software which are simply denying the
problem exists and doing nothing, because they can get away with it.

Gilad
--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Codefidence. A name you can trust (tm)

"Half of one of my eyes is already open. I'm going to make coffee now..."
        -- Kathi 16:08:04