"Tal, Shachar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > From: Oleg Goldshmidt

> > Of course, another problem with VC++ is that it often does not
> > compile perfectly legal C++ code.
>
> More often, the code that VC++ perfectly compiles is not perfect C++

That's less of a problem in this context, isn't it? You don't care
much that VC++ compiles what should not compile - you are
double-checking with lint (of whatever flavour suits you). However, if
lint gives your code a clean bill of health but your production
compiler chokes on it, you are in trouble.

> I'm not sure gcc will have a good signal-to-noise ratio when chewing
> MS's flavor of C++.

This depends on whether you consider the warnings that g++ in "lint
mode" is likely to spit onto the screen "noise" or "signal". Since you
are looking for a lint, I assumed you were going to treat it as
"signal"... It's more or less the same "signal" as any lint will
produce ("same" <=> "has the same purpose").

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]