On Thursday 27 November 2003 23:44, Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 11:18:16PM +0200, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 November 2003 22:30, Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:
> > > What does dmesg say?
> >
> > when I mount I get the following in dmesg:
> > MSDOS FS: IO charset utf8
> >
> > and this is in syslog:
> > Nov 27 23:12:54 shlomo1 kernel: MSDOS FS: IO charset utf8
> >
> > copying a file or umount don't show anything in dmesg or syslog
>
> utf8 is suspicious for me - I never used it on vfat. Is this
> autodetected, or in /etc/fstab (by you or by kudzu)? Oh, just a

I didn't make any changes to fstab. Kudzu detected the disk-on-key and
automatically set up all parameters. Here's what I found in fstab:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto user,iocharset=utf8,kudzu,noauto,umask=0,exec 0
0

I also tried changing that to sda4 in fstab as Omer suggested and got:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] solomon]$ mount /dev/sda4
mount: special device /dev/sda4 does not exist

> second - it's MSDOS? Not vfat? Why? Can you try vfat, with and
> without options (such as iocharset=, codepage=, uni_xlate, utf8)?

Why? - as noted above, this was all set up by KUDZU. I'm not sure I understand
your suggestion. Do you mean I should make changes to fstab and if so, what
changes?

> But that's not all I asked for. What does dmesg say when plugging
> in or out?

here's dmesg after unplugging and immediately plugging in again:

usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:07.2-1.3 address 25
hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1.3, assigned address 26
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 26

I was unable to find any useful information about the above warning message on
GOOGLE. The message appears in lots of posts to various forums, but nobody
writes if it's a problem (after all it is a warning and not an error, so I
guess people are ignoring it).

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://come.to/shlomo.solomon