The idea is to make all times GMT. And everyone (including yourself) will
see the time according to his time zone. The time zone also include DST
(daylight saving time).

If taking your example: a bid that ends in one hour.
Every one should see the end time as one hour from thier local time.
That time is affected from the time zone.

FYI, GMT isn't UTC.
GMT is an astronomical date - the time earth rotats around itself (= our
day&night).
UTC is a time mesured by atomical clocks. This time is added with leap
seconds to show the same time as GMT.

Time zone details can be check here:
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/index.htm

more info can be seen at: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/home.htm