On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 05:01:00PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> In Mozilla, the numbers and bullets of <ol> and <ul> lists appear at the
> far right of the screen. This is despite the fact that in Konqueror 3.1.x

Known bug. What's stopping its' resolution is that CSS doesn't define a
property for "margin from start of line" but only "margin from
left/right". Thus, you cannot give <ol>s and <ul>s a direction-dependant
style.

Konqueror (KHTML) solves it by defining in its' html4.css file:

*[dir="rtl"] UL,
*[dir="rtl"] OL,
*[dir="rtl"] DIR,
*[dir="rtl"] MENU,
*[dir="rtl"] DD {
        margin-right:40px;
        margin-left: auto;
}

but this is not entirely correct, since it ignores the possibility of
setting a direction with CSS property 'direction'. For example, it
won't catch this:

<ul>
<li>foobar</li>
</ul>

On Linux.org.il, we also use a similar workaround in our stylesheet,
http://www.linux.org.il/main_style :

/* Due to limitations of CSS, I let it have margins on both sides :) */
ul, ol, dir, menu
{
        margin-left:40px;
        margin-right:40px;
        padding-left:0px; /* Mozilla uses padding instead of margins */
        padding-right:0px;
}

Just insert this style into your HTMLs and you'll be fine :)

> they appear fine, and that with simple pages
> (like http://www.mozilla.org.il/get-involved.shtml) they appear fine as
> well.

See their persistent-style.css:

/*workaround for bug 74880 */