On Saturday 03 January 2004 10:09, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hetz: thanks for the info. As for the version of the driver, it may be
> stable for you, but I'm not sure it would be stable for me. So I'll ask
> at the forums, IRC channel, etc.
>
> The rest of the crowd: the Nvidia card came prepackaged with the computer,
> and I can't talk my father into replacing without a good enough reason.
> (he uses Windows there most of the time). So, switching to ATI is not an
> option.
>
> The reason I believe the current situation with Nvidia cards is
> sub-optimal is because:
>
> 1. I need to explictly download and build it whenever I upgrade the kernel
> (and possibly X as well). Mandrake does not ship it with their distro so
> they won't taint their distribution with a proprietary binary-only driver.

Yep. They try to make it user-friendly as much as possible. Closed, and yet,
easy to install. You just run the installer, and it compiles what needs to be
compiled for you.

> 2. It cannot be made part of the kernel because of its nature, so
> upgrading a kernel is always a two step process.

Upgrading a kernel is always more then two steps, anyhow. Besides checking
that everything works. Upgrading NVidia's driver does not require
re-configuration of X.

> 3. It causes some problems. Like this one, or one on my previous computer
> where the X server completely freezed occasionally while the computer was
> working. Why should it? A Linux machine should work flawlessly

Usually the reason has to do with hardware competablility, and hardware
inter-communication. Usually it's about the AGP.
A tip (which solved a similar problem for me) - Add /etc/modules.conf:
options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1
It might solve the problem. It will avoid using NVidia's AGP driver, and use
the kernel's AGP.

> 4. It "taints" the kernel and possibly make isolating problems a two-part
> process (removing the driver and then testing the untainted kernel).
>
> So, Nvidia Corp. has done a nice gesture to the i386 Linux users, but
> hasn't done enough. Linux "compatibility" is not enough. You still have to
> play by the rules of open-source.

Some do, some don't. Under the condition, they try to be as accessible as
possible for the huge veriaty of distributions. Not many closed-source
vendors are, or even bother trying...

> At the moment I don't have much time to try and reverse-engineer the
> driver. (and I'm not sure what's the legal status of it). Even so, without
> the SPEC, the re-created driver can still suffer from the same problems.
>
> Regards,
>
>       Shlomi Fish

Ez.