×××× ××××× 04 ××××× 2004, 18:56, ×××× ×× ××× Oleg Goldshmidt:
> A more realistic example: if I am BMW and my iDrive system in the 700
> series runs on Windows and keeps crashing then I have to factor the
> cost of crashes (in fixes, recalls, returns, lost customers, lost
> reputation, etc) when I consider switching to linux (while assuming
> that Linux-based iDrive won't crash all that much, of course).

Except that most buisness decision makers aren't developers by training, or
system administrators or even semi-technical people at all. as such they
often fail to factor in real costs such as:
- developers' down time due to system failures or lack of documentation.
- system down time due to required upgrades or security patches to operating
system.

Because they are so used to having their home computers down for days as a
result of viruses and spontaneus system crashes, managers cannot even
entertain the possibility that there are better alternatives.
When you come up to an IT manager and tell him - my software has a 99.999%
uptime, he might believe you but he considers this as the figure w/o
factoring in the above mentioned problems which are never factored. its
impossible to explain this to people who do not have technical know how
themselves.

--
Oded

::..
Nick : "Playing strip poker with an exhibitionist somehow takes the challenge
out of it.
        -- from "Metropolitan"