Nadav Har'El wrote:

> Microsoft Word is a *word processing* format, not a hard-copy format.
> Assuming you'd want to view and/or print your candidate's resumes, not
> EDIT them, there is no reason to insist on this proprietary format.

It's done for 2 reasons:

1. Resume filing software is designed to read MS/Word format. I don't know
   about the company in question, but large companies don't read resumes,
   they scan them or dump them directly into resume processing software.

   Then the personel person can do a query on "job#123, linux, etc" and
   get the qualified people for that job. :-(

2. Most personel people are clueless about handeling attachments. Specifying
   MS/Word limits the resumes received to something they can virus check and
   anderstand.

BTW, MS/Word format can easily be read and written by Open Office.

Note that if you ever send me a resume, you can send it to me in MS/Word
format. I'll gladly read it by "strings <file> | less". If I see the
comment "Microsoft Resume Template" in it you can guess where it will go.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson [EMAIL PROTECTED] 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Not for email)