ביום שני 26 ינואר 2004, 01:25, נכתב על ידי Tzafrir Cohen:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 01:11:52PM +0200, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I want to thank you all for your ideas.
> >
> > I eventually fixed the problem - by chance (Murphy's...).
> >
> > I have asked my Cable company to provide me with a fixed IP, so I can
> > rid of the annoying DHCP client (which I suspected).
>
> dhcp gives you an address. The clients makes settings according to this
> address. It does not affect your IP communication other than that.
>
> > No my computer boots a lot faster
>
> dhcp (if works well) should only take a number of seconds.
>
> > and the apps start 80% faster (as they
> > should, i.e.:
> >
> > Before: Mozilla browser would open a URL in 15-20 secs
> > Now: 5-7 secs.
>
> Why this effect? Something must have been wrong with name resolution .
> But what?

I have a feeling this is related to aRts. on my system (and a couple of others
I've checked), when aRts has network transparency and full-duplex enabled and
DHCP is used, aRts consumes 50% CPU at any given time. Disabling each of
those solves the problem.

--
Oded

::..
An algorithm must be seen to be believed.
        -- D. E. Knuth