On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 12:53:25AM +0000, Shlomi Loubaton wrote:

> I actually thought about a translated Debian installer for a while , but then
> i realized that most newbish users would rather use a friendlier
> distribution, and experienced users would usually prefer using English for
> installation. So , I'm not sure how useful this might get.

  I believe there are 2 aspects here:

1) It seems that BIDI will get into Linux and stay there for good in the
   `bit here and bit there' method. For those who were educated in
   Israel I might even say that it is the

       DUNAM PO VE DUNAM SHAM, REGEV ACHAR REGEV.
       CACH ...

   method, which is taken from a song that people used to sing many
   years ago. This, in turn, makes each bit more important then its
   naively measured fraction.
2) A good text installer has some merits which leaves it room even in
   a GUI world:
   - It is more likely to work out of the box both in current and
     future displays. This makes it a fall through solution or, if you
     like, an important build stone. One knows that it can be trusted
     to work. Experienced users would use it if they know that it will
     also makes their system to speak Hebrew out of the box without
     further hassle.
   - Text installation are more suitable for installing from remote,
     and are easier to debug and therefore also to enhance and customize
     by professionals who are doing that just as a side effect. This
     also makes them more economical. Some newbish would use it if it
     will came out of the box with less hassle and quickly give them the
     notion that they are progressing as planed and that most, if not
     everything, is working. Like the debugging thing for the
     professionals, it is also more likely to give them a solid starting
     point to ask for help and to be able to fix things by themselves,
     as well as somewhat smoothing the learning curve.

  As a side note, it seems that the big computer companies are more
interested in Linux for the server. Perhaps the local strategy should be
that Linux is for the low end home market. As such, a text installer
should be acceptable. One can then have a MIVTZA (selling promotion):

  Use a text installer for a low end price tag software.
  The graphical system that will come out of it is included.

Perhaps I should have put it as:

  Text installer is friendlier: not only it installs the system within
  a few key strokes, it also keeps your freedom: both by NOT charging
  money and otherwise.

Or maybe to modify the GASHASHEAM comedians:

  Not only the MAFTEHOT (keys) and the engine BEAFNIM (were installed
  in the car), so is *everything* else.

I haven't mentioned the fact that once the network is configured, the
Debian installer can install off the net. What about:

  Would you trade a CDROM and a mouse for a diskette and the Internet?

--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I