Pardon a slightly dumb question but ...

As far as I know (Open) Motif has been available at source level for quite some time.

Next, I'd expect any kind of bidi conversion/extension to be the same whether for classified Chetz usage for a business application. Hebrew is Hebrew and bidi is bidi.

Wheteher or not something really critical found its way to Egypt is far from clear. If it was just part of the bidi stuff - so what?

I know from my own experience, that IMB Cairo was involved with IBM's bidi activities back in OS/2 days, so what's new?

The real question was whether so much as a paper clip found its way from a secure area to Egypt.

If the Chetz project injected application-specific stuff into the Motif library, that would have been really dumb. Otherwise, Motif/bidi as such is a non-issue.

Have I missed something?

Eli Marmor wrote:
After reading the mentioned article in Maariv, and making some phone
calls, I want to correct one detail in what I wrote to Omer Zak (to
avoid yet another flames, the word "I" will be replaced by the word "Somebody" and the word "my" will be replaced by the word "Somebody's"):

Indeed, the Hetz project ("Arrow") uses Somebody's implementation of
the Hebrew/BiDi support for Motif, but only in minor parts; The major
part is based on the implementation of IBM.

The facts in the article of Ben Caspit, sadly to say, are probably correct. Ben is not technical, so some minor facts are not exact, and
some other bothering facts are missing, but the story is true.

I want to thank Omer for opening the thread; Nobody told me before
about that article (everybody was busy writing talkbacks about "why
couldn't any Israeli develop Hebrew support for Motif?" ;-)

Thanks to Omer's port, I read the story in Maariv. If there is an
interest from the public, I'll write some other details somewhere
(whatsup.co.il?). Though I feel that there is no interest (and there
was no follow-up in the media for Ben's scoop). Of course, all the
details that were learnt of thanks to my own connections with the sides
(all are customers of Somebody), will go with me to my grave.