Hi Yosef,

As I have contributed several features related to BiDi in both pango
and Gtk+, I think I have a bit of an idea. ;-)

The Hebrew module does not do what you want. It only does one thing
and that is to create clusters of the base characters and the nikud
and while doing that adjust the nikud position so that it will
look nice. (Once we start using OpenType fonts with proper GPOS tables,
the plug-in will become redundant.)

The modules are called after fribidi has been called. It is true that
the plug-ins don't call fribidi, but pango itself calls it before
the plug-ins are called. I doubt that the plug-in at this time is
allowed to change the character order, it can only create clusters, map
characters to glyphs, and adjust the positions of glyphs in the
clusters. Also a module is only passed the characters that it registered
that it supports.

But even if it could change the glyph order would you have a problem
as you would have to tell pango to choose your module for the
Hebrew characters instead of the default module. Of course you could
do it through setting through environment variables etc...

It really sounds that for what you want you can either write a short
perl program that searches for $$..$$ or  mathmode and inserts the
related TeX macros. Or even override the TeX macros themself.

Regards,
Dov