ביום ראשון 28 מרץ 2004, 10:04, נכתב על ידי Gal Goldschmidt:
> From my past experience it's a pain.
> I had to format and reinstall, since the upgrade left the system in an
> unstable state.
> Maybe the upgrade is smother on the new version, My last Mandrake
> installation was around the 9.1.

My experience shows that you can easily upgrade a year old installation with
the latest Mandrake w/o consequences. the older the install and the weirder
your setup, the harder it will get, but for the "standard" simple install it
will be nothing more then "next"->"next"->"finish".

That being said, generally speaking I suggest either of two modes of keeping
Mandrake up to date: either (a) re-install every time you have a new version
(make sure your /home is on another partition and you don't have important
data elsewhere and then format / and reinstall and reconfigure - takes 2~3
hours at most to get your system back up) or (b) upgrade your system live
using URPMI. this is relativly safe and very easy to do, but I suggest you do
it for every new version that comes out (every 6 months or so) otherwise the
difference between a year old install and a current one will probably be too
great to make it painless.

> > 3. Do we have any distribution (beside Gentoo) that do not
> >    require upgrading ? I.e. once installed, some "emerge -world"
> >    always (!) bring latest updates for all packages ?
>
> Definitely Gentto is the best, but if your machine is not a  >2GHz CPU and
> you don't have a day or two for the installation, you should check Debian
> or a Debian based distro,  The upgrade apt-get update; apt-get upgrade no
> need to reformat or reinstall from scratch you can move from stable to
> unstable very easily and the machine usually won't break too much ;-).

Debian is an option, but you have to remember that unless you are using Debian
unstable you really are using a year old distribution (two years for
"stable") - feature-wise. gentoo is not much better - when you 'emerge
-world' you're also living on the cutting edge of Gentoo development (mostly
as gentoo does not have a clear distinction between the "stable" and
"testing" versions).

If you really are considering Gentoo with constant updates or Debian unstable,
then why not use Mandrake that way ?
URPMI is as easy to use as apt or emerge in order to completly upgrade your
machine to the current Mandrake development version ("cooker") which is
always available through many mirrors. I have been updating my personal
machines that way for over two years and I can't say had a serious problem
for more then a year now. I'm running updating on a weekly basis and
upgrading to the new stuff I find ("urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto
--auto-select"). I have a machine installed originally as Mandrake 8.2 which
now reports itself as 10.0 (upgraded last week. a bit of down time because I
wanted to try the latest kernel).
I can't recommend this practice to any Linux user (mostly as I also can't
recommend using Debian unstable or Gentoo to any Linux user), but if you know
what you are doing you shouldn't have any problem.

P.S.
A Mandrake URPMI tip: update on sundays.

--
Oded

::..
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
        -- Lewis C. Carol