I recall a similar problem:
1 RH workstation
12 Debian Workstation

If the net went down the redhat (7.2) lost it's ip and never recovered it.
The problem seemed to be in pump (the dhcp client) in RH. While the debians ISC dhcp-clients kept trying to find the DHCP server, pump gave up until it was manually re-run.
I switched to the ISC client and that was it.

Gil

Tom Rosenfeld wrote:
Hi guys!

I am having a DHCP problem. I have a dozen RedHat 9 workstations that are booting via a fixed address DHCP server.

The dhcpd.conf file has an entry like the following for each host:

host bob { option host-name "bob.fh.huji.ac.il"; hardware ethernet 00:0d:9d:d9:25:00; fixed-address 132.64.0.89; }

Everything works fine, but when we have an extended network outage, these client seem to hang. Once the network returns, the clients no longer can see the network. Even if I wait a few days for them to recover! My other non-dhcp clients of course recover fine once the network returns.

I assume this is related to their DHCP leases expiring. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-tom