On Wednesday 14 April 2004 00:48, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> > > Oded, debian is the only distro which you can trust with packages. It
> > > comes with a price: hard install + no gui.
> >
> > I sure can trust Mandrake, SuSE and other distros with pacakges - and
> > they **have** easy graphical installers.
>
> thanks... but I know that mdk is not good for servers (i know this distro
> pretty good).

I don't know why you say so clearly that Mandrake is not good for servers ?
I personally have built and maintained several Mandrake based serves for
myself and for others. furthermore, a company I currently work for has ALL of
its linux servers on Mandrake. Having our software in a urpmi repository
(which is ridiculously easy to set up - just put all the packages you want in
a folder and run genhdlist) is very convenient as we can easily upgrade a
whole machine to a new version set including all the required dependencies in
one command, or install/upgrade a set of machines remotely by pushing
packages to them.
There are a lot of distros that allow you to pull updates (the venerable
apt-get comes to mind) but IIRC Mandrake is the only distro that provide an
integerated tool to push packages with all dependencies to multiple remote
machines over secure connections with a single command and without even the
need to setup repositories on the remote machines!

Combine that with a great selection of software offered (we have yet to need a
FLOSS software package that wasn't available in Mandrake or a close
substitute), very easy and comfortable defaults (at least for me) and a good
set of precompiled kernels and the result is a server OS that is useful,
stable and fun for both the veteran and the beginner. we had a linux newbie
pick up the system and installing boxes like a pro with in a week and the
veteran IT department manager keeps getting surpised by the amount of stuff
that doesn't need to be done because it's already pre-configured/built-in.

--
Oded
::..