On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 06:57:21AM +0300, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Conclusions:
> When doing remote upgrades, it is CRUCIAL to have a backup kernel ready
> on hand, in case you need to boot the machine in failsafe mode. If I
> hadn't done that with hamakor.org.il, the machine would have been down
> since yesturday noon, requiring physical attendance and an alternative
> boot method to recover.

  Another conclusion might be to not give up on the serial console
option for remote machines. Should be a reasonable replacement for
physical attendance in many cases.
  Hmm, the option to intstall through a serial console is nice too.
Am I too excited about the serial console feature?

> Using LILO for remotely updateable machines is an important addition.
> When doing so, update the kernel using the following set of commands:
> lilo -D Failsafe (Override the default in lilo.conf to the new name)
> lilo -R Linux (Boot this image only once)
> reboot
> when machine goes up again:
> lilo (bring everything back to the lilo.conf setting, which is now
> known to be working).
>
> If the machine hangs, a simple reboot will make it choose the failsafe
> kernel.
>
> Never trust your distro completely. Even the best of them may screw up
> occasionally :-( Always try to have contingency plans in place.

  Do you mean that the installation of the new kernel made it the
default one for the next reboot? There is more then one way to do it.
One can edit /etc/kernel-img.conf. And then to run lilo by hand and
probably another one or two manually issued commands. Perhaps lilo -D
should be the preferred method.

--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I