From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Eli Marmor
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 2:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Governments spending on IT

Tzahi Fadida wrote:

> I have to disagree on that. The size of the project and ROI have ...

You either didn't read my e-mail, or didn't understand it.

The original poster wrote (well, not exactly in these words...):

"Hey, they budgeted 470M NIS for Merkava, let's use it for Open- Source!"

So I answered that this money was already budgeted for licenses of SAP and
work around SAP and deployment etc.

So you wrote "I have to disagree on that".

???!

Open the budget books, and see for yourself that I'm right.

And if your disagreement is with the original decision, what do you want of
me?  Your opponent is the Ministry of Finance, not me. I only described that
this money is already budgeted for very specific things that the Government
already obligated for them and that they can't be used for Open-Source and
that I wish it would be budgeted for Open- Source but that unfortunately is
not the case..

So we almost agree on anything, don't we?

Well, actually there are many things that I still must disagree; For
example:

> especially when paying 470m$ I would have requested the source

$470M?!  It's 357% more than the original, how did it inflated so much?

or:

> nothing to do with open source. For example, the govrenment could have
> required for the bid that the resulting software should be made
> available to the govrenment or/and to the public.

Isn't it exactly what they do?
Even Microsoft gave them the full source code of all its products...

But except for these and other mistakes, we agree on anything else  :-)

And if you REALLY want to help, then instead of inventing arguments and
disagreements between us, please check the following rumor and try to speak
with somebody:

According to the rumor, most of the SAP servers are going to run under
Win2000 Servers (or 2003).

Maybe it's a false rumor.
And even if it's true, maybe there is a good reason.
Maybe one of the purchased modules hasn't been ported to Linux yet.

But IF the rumor is true, and IF there is no reason to run it under a
non-Linux platform, then focus your efforts in this direction; I, for
myself, am going to do it in the first opportunity.

--
Eli Marmor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]