How about giving FreeWorldDialup (FWD) a try?

http://www.fwd.pulver.com/

The protocol is SIP (RFC2543). Interoperability - check. The audio uses RTP.

The endpoint needs to be a SIP phone - either a hardware one (and there's one for $70)
or a software one. There's KPhone and some proprietary Linux ones.

http://www.fwd.pulver.com/content/view/full/274/

The service itself is free. There are a few other free proxies, so if this one goes
down you can use another.

What's really nice about FWD is that Pulver supplies a NAT proxy. If both sides are
behind a NAT, they can still converse!

If you get to configure it and use it, drop me a line at FWD #23501

I can testify that I had spoken with my X-GF for literally HOURS from India to Israel,
for nothing.

-- Arik