Oron Peled wrote:
On Thursday 20 May 2004 12:22, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

Dedicatde Server: - I get a full server which I supply myself, manages
myself with full access to hardware resources,  including backups.
Provider supplies connectivity, UPS, IPs and rack space. Price point: 100$.
Single user on one server.

If all else fails, how about spliting the cost of a dedicated server among,
say, 4-5 people that run their VPS on it? It should be roughly equivalent
to what you look for, with the disatvantage that physical server management
isn't done by the ISP.

Let's augment this... the one who manage the physical server, gets his
share for free :-) This can be round robin for a specified term, of course.

Just my ~20$

I am right now a part of Fiasco, which does something very similar minus the VPS part. That is, we sinmply share one server and manage it as a co-op.

This solution has worked great for me for several years now. It stopped being efficient, however, when I started relying on Fiasco resources (such as email) for conducting business and my response to Fiasco downtime or configuration problems have gone from: "oh well..." to "Oh Shit"...

It is very possible that a VPS arrangement can mitigate some of the issues involved, but from experience it requires very strictly defined conditions.

If I can't find somewhen to rent a VPS from I prefer to buy the server and rent the connectivity myself and sell VPS hosts to other people to cover some of the costs instead of a co-op solution which works very well for non critical stuff but becomes unmanagble over a certain complexity of setup.

If anyone is interested, drop me a *private* email, please.

Gilad