Hi People,

Lately I've been following a project which might interest few people here. It's called: QEMU

QEMU is an open source "Virtual PC" emulator. Unlike BOCHS, it's quite fast (a bit slower then VMWare, but not by much)..

Although the project is in version 0.5.x stages (meaning - some necessary features are missing), it shows a great promise.

Some of it's features:

* Install (almost) any X86 OS as a guest (Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003, *BSD, Linux, etc)
* It's not only emulating full X86 system, but also:

* PowerPC (604 for now)
* ARM 7
* Sparc (no FPU yet)
So you can install some OS's (Linux PPC, Linux for ARM, SparcLinux, etc)
* Fully open source (the engine is under LGPL, BIOS under MIT license, the program under GPL)..

The program is still buggy and there are missing features there, but at the moment it looks great and I'm using Windows XP + Office XP with it, and it seems to work pretty well..

Why do I mention it here? for quite few reasons:

* If you plan to buy VMWare in the future, you might want to evaluate it before sinking $300 per machine
* It can help when a user doesn't have money but do want to run his windows apps (Windows on Linux, Linux on Windows - QEMU can run on both and almost on any other unix)..

I made a small Windows 98 (guest) howto [not finished yet] + some screenshots and a nightly source snapshot, available at: http://dad-answers.com/qemu/

Thanks,
Hetz